Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dear Srila Prabhupada


nama om visnu-padaya krsna-presthaya bhu-tale
srimate bhaktivedanta-svaminn iti namine

namas te sarasvate deve gaura-vani-pracarine
nirvisesa-sunyavadi-pascatya-desa-tarine


Dear Srila Prabhupada,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to you, Srila Prabhupada!.

The experience I am about to relate happened on the ISCOWP farm. I was in charge of the cows during the winter when my parents were away in the mall earning enough money to pay our personal bills. They are disciples of yours. They have taught me how to care for cows. I am most thankful to you and them for this cow seva knowledge because of the happiness that I, and others, can experience while caring for the cows and oxen.

When I went to check the cows Saturday morning (December 3), the first thing I noticed was that Balaram, Gouravani, Visaka, and Radha Shyama were out eating hay in the hay barn and grass in the driveway. As I looked for the break in the fence where they got out, I looked up and saw a cow lying down and not moving in the barn. I cried out to Krsna and started praying that whoever was down was just sleeping.

When a cow is dying, we like to give them some holy water and have a tape of Srila Prabhupada singing bhajans 24/7. I did not have time to do either. I am also very attached to all the cows.

I rushed into the new barn where the cow was down and discovered it was Veda. He was barely alive. This spring the vet said that Veda had a wasting disease called Johne's disease and it would just be a matter of time before his demise. The vet knows we do not put any of our animals down, but I thought he would last longer. The day before he seemed okay, not well but ok, not at death's door. I started singing to him the Nrsringa prayers and checked to make sure that he was not stuck, in fact was actually down, and nothing else was stopping him from getting up. At this stage, he was also very weak and could not lift his head. I went and got bedding to make him more comfortable and also hay and water to see if he would eat or drink which he did not. I could do nothing more at that moment.

After I did this I gave Vraja his medicine for his arthritis, fed the cows in the loafing shed and old barn, went back outside to fix the fence, and put the four cows back inside. After calling my parents to find out where the CD player and blankets were, I collected these items and I covered Veda with the blankets and turned on the CD player to continuous play. As I was doing this, I noticed that Krishna and Visaka were sniffing Veda. Then they each went to stand on either side of Veda and stand guard.

To read the rest:

Dear Srila Prabhupada



5 comments:

Jana said...

So sad story!!! It must be very hard when some of cows die... but cow soul is happy and cow will tell about ISCOWP to Krsna =) And maybe cow soul will be next life somewhere close to you in new body.. I help you!

Jana said...

and help you (I made a mistake)

'G' said...

Thats was such a sad story...but it is very encouraging to read about the work you do...
hari bol !
g

Bala said...

Dear G'

Hare Krishna!

I took a look at your blog. Very nice to see your daily thoughts, appreciations, and striving to become closer to Srila Prabhupada!

Where are you located?

Would you like to exchange blog links? We are striving to bring awareness of the importance of cows in spiritual life as Srila Prabhupada taught us. The internet is a great way to reach people.

Your servant,
Balabhadra das

KP said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us. It is very encouraging seeing that we are not alone in our feelings for cows. You are certainly in Radharani's good book.