Monday, August 14, 2006

Vraja's Flashback

Vraja is having a flashback on a sunny morning in the shade of the ISCOWP barn at New Vrindavan.

Back in the day...............................

.......................the life of a traveling ox on the fair/festival summer circuit. We are in Los Angeles after slowly bumping across the United States in our 1979 Bluebird school bus. We have met so many people and made so many friends along the highways and byways.

One memorable friend is a young Krishna devotee girl in Los Angeles by the name of Ananda. The year is 1992. We arrived late in the evening and Balabhadra set up our temporary camp between the Tulasi house and the temple building itself. Gita and I have spent a restful night with Tulasi Devi on one side and Rukmini Dwarkadish on the other side...............what great neighbors.

The word is out that the oxen are back in town for Rathayatra and again will be leading the Rathayatra procession of Lord Jagannatha.

How do I know the word is out? The children start coming to see us. We will be loved, hugged, brushed, and fed many wonderful treats like carrots and apples and mangoes. Where are the kids getting all of these treats? It appears that they know where the walk in cooler for the temple is located and are helping themselves to the bounty of Rukmini Dwarkadish's stash of goodies. Shades of pastimes from the Krishna Book where Baby Krishna is a butter thief. Baby Krishna steals butter from His mother, Jasoda, and feeds it to the monkeys, so he is called a butter thief. The devotee kids are stealing Krishna’s fruits and veggies and giving them to us,Vraja and Gita the traveling oxen. How sweet of them to be playing the pastimes of Baby Krishna.


I feel a presence on my back and immediately I know who it is.........................it’s Ananda. She loves to hug me, lies on my back, and gives me long soft hugs that seem to last forever. She speaks softly to me and tells me how much she loves Gita and waits all year us to return to Los Angeles for Rathayatra so she can come and hug and brush us and feed us special treats. It’s so nice to see her again and to get those great hugs from this young cow lover.

Back to the present moment..............................

...............................it’s the summer of 2006 and I'm in the shade of the ISCOWP in New Vrindavan barn chewing my cud during the heat of the day.
Balabhadra is coming into the barn with a young lady who looks very familiar. My goodness it looks like Ananda from Los Angeles. Is it really her? It’s been so long, so many years. It can't be...........................but wait.........................that hug............yes, it is Ananda..................I will always remember her hug. It’s the hug of a 100% genuine cow lover.



Lets sit and talk awhile Ananda, my dear friend, and catch up on our realizations of this life...............it's so good to see again, my dear friend, its great to see you again..........!!!

Balabhadra

ISCOWP Website

Life With the Cows and Land

1 comment:

Madhava Gosh said...

While I realize Vraja is just an ox... an ellipsis only has 3 dots.

Ellipses

From:

Common Errors In English