Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cows Love One Another


10/25/06
Dear Chaya,

I just wanted to share with you my experience Sunday morning when I accompanied Chaitanya to feed and count the cows.

As you know, the day before Vraja (16-year-old ox) had an accident. Due to his arthritis, he lost his footing and fell flat on the ground. It was a bit scary for Chaitanya Bhagavat and me as we thought that maybe he would not get up. After awhile he got up, but he later lay down again. Once again, we were concerned that he would not get up, as he seemed exhausted. After resting awhile, he got up again. Witnessing his fall, the rest of the herd came running to the scene to see what happened.

The next day I went with Chaitanya on his morning service to the cows. He mixed the medicines in the grain for Vraja and got the bucket of grain for Gita. Since Gita was right at the fence patiently waiting (not), he fed him first. Chaitanya then went around the corner of the barn to feed Vraja. Vraja heard us and came up to the road. Chaitanya gave him his grains and brushed him a bit before we crossed over the fence to count the other cows that were up on the hill.

We crossed over the fence and Chaitanya started brushing Balaram. I then noticed that all the cows were coming down the hill towards us at a faster than usual speed. I thought that maybe they had seen Chaitanya giving grains and were looking for that, but they sailed past us just as if we weren’t even there and went straight to the fence line where Vraja was still eating his grains. They all were straining to see how he was doing or so it seemed for they paid no attention to us. They just stood there watching him and seemingly stretching their necks over the fence out towards him, talking to him. He seemed to respond back to them as well, maybe reassuring them that he was better today. I don’t know actually how long they were there conversing, because I was so engrossed in watching them communicate. It was such a joyful sight to behold.

It was really amazing to be given the opportunity to witness this first hand, you could tell that they were genuinely concerned about their friend and were glad to see him back on his feet after his mishap yesterday morning. I have read about things like this before, as I am sure you have, but had never had the privilege to witness it. They truly do have compassion, respect, and love for one another, more so than most humans it would seem. Actually, I think most humans could learn something valuable from the cowherd families. At least you can know that their reactions are honest and pure and not the fake concerns that most humans offer one another.

Well, I am so glad that Vraja is doing much better now and I am sure that everyone else feels the same.

Shelda Bloomingdale

Vraja can be adopted at: Adopt A Cow



2 comments:

Richard M. Boyden said...

I travel around the country a lot as I drive an 18 wheeler out of Phoenix, Az. I see a lot of cows, both beef and dairy. I have always been amazed at how powerful these animals are, as they graze the fields and purportedly keep ghosts at bay. Since I know the significance of Krishna's cows (as much as any mortal can know), I ponder within myself constantly how utterly generous and compassionate they must have to be in order to outwardly appear content while inwardly they are focused on the fateful day of their trip to the "big house". They know how the "slaughterhouse" mentality cripples human society down to the rock bottom level of
inhumanity of man to man. And yet these cows stand there secure in the knowledge that indeed "love"
wins out in the end. It is that kind of power that can propel the soul clear through the covering of the material universe into the spiritual realm of Vaikuntha and Goloka Vrndavana, never again having to worry about birth, old age, disease and death. Hari Bol!

Balabhadra das said...

Thank you for such an inspiring comment.