Saturday, June 09, 2007

Jaya’s Fight Against Cancer

A rainbow formed and ended right above Jaya after his surgery

It has been 3 ½ years now since Jaya was diagnosed with cancerous growths in both eyes. We called our local vet back then and he came and diagnosed the growths as cancer on the third eyelid. Upon diagnosis, we immediately took Jaya into the barn and Dr. Moore surgically removed both growths. Due to the location of the growths, Dr. Moore felt there was no guarantee that he removed every cancer cell. Everything was fine for sometime. Again, we noticed some growth in the eye that previously had the larger growth. In September 2006, Dr. Moore again came and surgically removed as much of the growth as he could. The other eye remained clear. At that point, Jaya also had a spot of cancerous growth on his eyeball. Again, Dr. Moore told us he might not have gotten all the cancer, and he would most likely lose his eye in 6 months due to the spot he saw on Jaya’s eyeball.

Over the winter months, we used homeopathic remedies to see if we could minimize and hopefully kill the growth. Everything was going nicely and even the growth on his eye disappeared. In early spring 2007, the growth on his eyelid started again. It was growing slowly and then started to accelerate. It was again time to call Dr. Moore for an evaluation and possible surgery. Dr. Moore arrived at the ISCOWP farm and made an evaluation of Jaya’s eye. The cancer was now growing and pushing the eyeball back into his skull. Dr Moore recommended that we should go to Ohio State University Veterinary hospital. They could either laser or freeze the cancer and save Jaya’s eye. Dr Moore contacted the hospital and made the arrangements for us to go there.

Although we have a trailer, we do not have a truck road worthy enough to pull the trailer with Jaya in it on a long trip. Dr. Moore called one of his friends, Valerie McDonnell who hauls horses, to take us and Jaya. Valerie told us later that she was afraid to take the job because we were Hare Krishna’s. She decided to take us after Dr. Moore told her we were good people.

On Tuesday, June 5, she came and picked us up. My daughter Lakshmi, Jaya, and I were off to the Ohio State University hospital. It was a 3 hour drive. During the drive, Valerie and Lakshmi talked about caring for animals with love.

When we got there, Jaya was unloaded from the trailer and taken into his operating room. The first evaluation was that there was a tumor behind the eye as well. In order to get as much of the cancer as possible, it would be necessary to remove his eye. Of course, we were hoping that this would not be the case. Then the experts from the optical department were called for consultation and after a hands-on evaluation, they also concluded that in order to remove the cancer the eye would also have to be removed. All doctors evaluated the other eye as cancer free. He was then given general anesthesia and then local anesthesia in a 360 degree pattern around his eye.

The operation was performed and during the operation, the doctor and student interns were all talking to Jaya and addressing him by his name. Jaya is 13 years old and quite a handsome fellow what to speak of being over two thousand pounds. Nobody could believe that he was 13 years old and in such great shape. The operation took little over an hour and after the operation, we spoke with the doctor and the interns and gave them some ISCOWP literature. Everyone was very happy to meet us and to be able to be of service to Jaya. They all remarked how well behaved he was.

The doctors told us that this kind of tumor is not uncommon amongst white-faced cattle. By nature, the tumor has branches, and they thought there was a good chance they got it all. When the tumor was removed, it was the size of a softball about 3 inches in diameter, which apparently was causing a lot of pressure behind his eye.

On the way home, Jaya sat down in the trailer for the whole ride. When we got back to the farm, he was quite happy to be home. We put him in the geriatric barn with special cutting hay. Unfortunately, we have not allowed the other cows to come into contact with him for fear that his healing eye will get bumped. He is quite content in the geriatric barn. We will keep him there for the next 3 weeks until the time we can remove the stitches. In the barn, it is very cool and there are considerably less flies. The big concern now is to keep everything clean and the flies away from the wound. We were given a special spray to spray on his face to keep flies away. He is eating well and seems to be happy.

Valerie read the entire ISCOWP memorial issue for the passing of Vraja and decided to give us a discount for her services. She now wants to visit Prabhupada’s Palace and temple to understand more about the Hare Krishna philosophy.

After we had gotten Jaya secured in the geriatric barn, there was a five minute downpour of rain followed by a beautiful rainbow which ended right above the geriatric barn and Jaya. To us this was a very favorable sign and the end of successful journey to the Ohio State Veterinary hospital. We humbly request everyone to pray for Jaya’s speedy and full recovery.

No comments: